You spent so much time writing your book. Your heart, soul, and knowledge is poured into every page. To enhance the probability of your book being sold, you may have spent a great deal of money to have it edited or a cover designed.
Publishing your book today is easier than ever. You can use a service like CreateSpace to create printed copies or just sell your book as an ebook through an online store like Amazon and your website.
As a published author of 9 books, I can tell you from experience, creation and publishing is the easy part.
Marketing your book is the hard part.
Before all you had was the book cover to sell your book. Publishers were very careful to pick the right design to help your book fly off the shelves.
Today it’s different. Promoting your book includes:
- Creating a landing page for your book
- Creating a facebook page for your book
- Status updates, tweets, posts all about your book
The most important trend having a huge success is … creating a video to promote your book. This type of video is called a “video book trailer“.
Promotion is your responsibility!
As the famous Jeffrey Gitomer always says, “people don’t like to be sold but they love to buy”.
- People want to buy YOU. If they like YOU they are more apt to BUY from YOU. Let prospective buyers see your face and personality.
- Read a page or two from your book (it works better than providing a free chapter).
- Passion is contagious: talk, with passion, about one of your characters or the topic.
Here is an example from a colleague, Tom Bentley. His trailer for his book, Flowering and Other Stories, illustrates his wonderful sense of humor. Who wouldn’t want to buy Tom Bentley’s book after seeing how clever he is.
As you can see, your book trailer doesn’t have to be fancy. Your book trailer does need to be something that helps people to like you (humor always works). If the viewer likes you from the book trailer, they are more inclined to buy your book.
Before your book is ready to be printed or converted into the proper ebook format:
- Write a video script for your video book trailer for a 2 to 3 minute video.
- Upload your video book trailer to YouTube at least one week before your book is ready for shipping.
- Link your video book trailer on Amazon (book page and author page), your book landing page, and your facebook page.
- Tweet the link to your book trailer.
Oh, and make sure they can pre-order your book.
If you have any questions, I have published 9 books. Some through a commercial publisher and now, I’ll only self-publish. That’s what makes Viditude different from other videographers! Viditude understands that promotion is your responsibility! Where your videos appear and how to promote your book is the key to selling your book to more readers! Call 973.509.9427 or email TalkToUs@Viditude.com . If you want to write a book but do not know where to start, watch my How To Get Published video series. PS: My video book trailer for Your Video Playbook.